Rice is the main source of carbohydrates for the population of Indonesia. However, the consumption of rice is often associated with diabetes. With increasing consumer attention towards health, rice became the choice of the consumer’s attention to the health of the body. Glycemic Index (GI) glycemic index (IG) is one of the reference that can be researched because it relates to diabetes. Glycemic Index (IG) is a measure of how high and how fast a food increases your blood sugar. The higher its value, then a food faster and higher increases in blood sugar. Instead, the IG low-value food may increase your blood sugar slowly. So, for type 2 diabetes patients in particular, it is recommended to eat food with the IG.
According to Foster-Powell et al. (2002), food can be classified based on the value of his IG as follows:
(a) foodstuffs with low values of IG (< 55)
(b) foodstuffs with IG values are (55-69)
(c) foodstuffs with a high value of IG (> 70).
The value of the IG is very influential towards the varieties and the processing of food, e.g. on the rice. The IG’s research on rice in Indonesia ever done by the Indrasari (2008) evaluating the several types of rice varieties in Indonesia. Rice with low amylose containing belongs in the category of high-IG (74-79) is rice with rice varieties Setail and Ketonggo. Rice with amylose levels are categories include IG medium (59-64) are rice varieties with Aek Sibundong and Cigeulis and rice with high amylose levels included in the IG low (34-50) is rice with varieties of Martapura, Tenggulang, Water Margasari, Lembang, a Batang and Cisokan.
In addition to the different types of varieties, in any processing can affect the IG in rice. Geochemical Akhyaar (2009) mentions the IG can come down through a process of pratanak, i.e. the process of administering water and hot steam against the grain before the grain is dried. The goal is to prevent the loss of nutritional elements and minimize the damage of rice during milling. Rice pratanak having a positive impact for health because of his low IG.
In addition, the source of carbohydrates not only obtained from rice. We can eat other types of carbohydrates, through the bulbs, corn, and more. This is also part of the Government’s program to lower the dependency against rice. Then what about the IG?
The value of the IG on the source of carbohydrates such as corn has a value lower than the IG rice. Although it depends on the type of the varieties of rice. Here are some results of the research the list of commodities along with index glikemiknya
|Commodities||Type||The Value Of The IG||Reference|
|PADI||Setail||74||Indrasari et al. (2008)|
|Corn||Telogo Mulyo||33||Richana et al. (2012)|
|Starchy Food||Arrowroot||41||Hasan et al. (2011)|
- Indrasari SD, EY Purwani P. Wibowo, Jumali. 2008. Glycemic Index Value Of Some Rice Varieties. Agricultural food crops research 27 (3): 127-134
- Akhyaar. 2009. Influence of Pratanak Process Against the quality of nutrition and glycemic index of various Rice varieties in Indonesia. Thesis. Bogor Agricultural University. Bogor.
- Foster-Powell, k., s. h. a. Holt and c. j. Brand-Miller. 2002. International table of glycemic index and glycemic load values. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 76:5-56.
- Richana, n., Ratnaningsih., A.B. Arif, and m. Hayuningtyas. 2012. Characterization of varieties of maize with a low glycemic index to support food security. International Maize Conference in Indonesia.
- Hasan Astuti, v. s., and Susilawati. 2011. Oyek and Glycemic Index Food from Tubers Arrowroot, Amorphophallus, and Cassava. Journal of Agricultural and Industrial Technology vol. 16 no.1. Unila.
Latest posts by Muhammad Isa Dwijatmoko (see all)
- 3 Hal yang Perlu Diluruskan Terkait Susu Kental Manis - 15 Juli 2018
- Mengenal Teknologi “Pigging” pada Industri Pangan - 09 Juli 2018
- Alergi dengan Susu Sapi? Coba Ganti dengan Susu Kambing - 25 Juni 2018