Which do you choose?
Disruption Vs. Creation
Competition Vs. Collaboration
Paranoia Vs Optimism
Zero-Sum Game Vs Abundance
Disruption era in mass media
Lately the popular term “Disruption” in the mass media, seminars and discussions in social media. No less than Professor of Faculty of Economic University of Indonesia, Prof. Rhenald Kasali wrote a special book on this era of disruption, and described it as a frightening era for established companies. The title of his book was frightening: “Disruption: Facing Invisible Enemies in Uber Perdaban”. But is the era of disruption so frightening, filled with bloody zero-sum games, where the protagonists are usually the startups backed up by elephant investors to “kill” the already established dinosaurs? Should the era of disruption be used as a material to scare and inflict paranoid, as if the world is entering an era of intense competition all-out? I disagree.
Disruption is a term popularized by Clayton Christensen as a continuation of the tradition of thinking “must compete, to win (for you to win, you’ve got to make some body lose)” ala Michael Porter. Deadly duo professor of celebrity Harvard Business School has dominated the business world in the last 22-37 years. If there are two theories most remembered by MBA graduates, usually two of these theories: Disruptive Innovation (Christensen) and Competitive Strategy (Porter). He both has been very meritorious to participate make the business world from the early 1980s (porter) and the late 90s (Christensen) in the aura of fierce competition between companies in the battle of life and death. But still will this be like the business world 10-30 years to come? I think it is not necessary, if we want to.
It was W Chan Kim and Renée Mauborgne, the first two professors of INSEAD in 2005, exactly 10 years after the term “Disruption” popularized Christensen, shouting that we do not need to “compete” for success, that we do not have to “beat” to win in business. And 12 years later, in his recently published book, “Blue Ocean Shift”, Professor INSEAD’s Professor reiterates, “no need to disrupt anyone to succeed”. Viagra does not do “disruption” to any company to become one of the most successful drugs. Microfinance ala Muhammad Yunus does not bother or compete with any Bank to benefit hundreds of millions of poor people. If possible give an example of a local case: SEFT (Spiritual Emotional Freedom Technique), the training I introduced 11 years ago, does not compete or interfere with the existence of other pre-existing training.
It was not as scare as we thought
Why can they succeed without doing “disruptive innovation”? because they are innovating the “beyond-disruption”. They create new markets, without the need to compete with existing ones. And they are a great success without having to beat anyone. Because they are doing “non-disruptive creation”. So whether you are still self-reliant or eager to do “Disruption”? if I’m not interested. Or are you afraid of the death of your established company becoming a victim of disruption such as Kodak, Nokia, Mall & Wholesale Center, or Conventional Taxy? No need, if you have “Abundance Mind-Set” and immediately apply “Blue Ocean Shift” or “Exponential Organization” such as P & G, Apple, Google, Amazon, and other established elephant companies that can move agile like a mouse deer.
Peter Diamandis, Co-Founder of Singularity University, went even further. With very convincing data, he argues that the world will be increasingly abundant in the next 10 to 30 years. Then we need not fear or panic with the era of disruption. After all the Disruption described “sangar and cruel” is only the 3rd phase of the 6 phase “Exponential Shock” which ultimately is “Abundance for All”. The problem remains in this era of massive transition you want to be the audience only, or want to be the main actor? want to just fear and be surprised to see one by one big company that fallen, or want to actively create a better future for all the inhabitants of the earth? Now even if we are observant, we are abundant in many ways.
- Just a few years ago we need to pay expensive for long distance calls. Now almost free, even video-call though, to any part of the world.
- Combined existing technology in HP that you hold today, you can buy at a price of one tenth of a thousand compared to 25 years ago.
- The information that you can access on Google right now is far more than the information that the President of America and all of his Inteligence ranks of 20 years ago have. And fore:
- Electricity will get you cheaply because solar panels are getting cheaper.
- Petrol, diesel, kerosene you do not need anymore, because almost all the cars, stoves and electric-powered logistics trucks are cheap.
- And because the price of electricity and oil is the main driver of the price of goods, then this will affect the domino make the price of other basic materials, transportation, etc. come cheaper.
- In the health sector, DNA sequencing, for the treatment of all sorts of diseases, once costing hundreds of millions, would be cheaper than the cost of flushing toilets.
The best campus material in the world for 5 billion / 4 years, you can access for free now. Plus all the sciences that used to be accessible only on the elite campuses, can now be accessed by village children in the Maluku hinterland for example.
And so on, and so on.
Peter Diamandis explains in detail and scientifically all the much more facts in his book, “Abundance: Why the Future is Better Than You Think”. In essence, there are quite a lot of resources that are abundant for everyone, so why do we fight and compete? why do not we work together to achieve mutual prosperity, including our competitors? (Insya Allah continued …)
Bloomington, October 11, 2017
Ahmad Faiz Zainuddin
Founder of Logos Institute
MBA Students at Warwick Business School (UK)
and Kelley Business School (USA)
Posted by warstek based on author’s approval.
Latest posts by Warstek Media (see all)
- Amerika Cemas Atas Keberhasilan China Mendaratkan Wahana Robotik Tanpa Awaknya di Sisi Terjauh Bulan - 14 Januari 2019
- Penelitian Pilihan Editor Warstek, Edisi Januari 2019 - 08 Januari 2019
- Penelitian Pilihan Editor Warstek Selama Tahun 2018 - 06 Januari 2019