A scientific article entitled "Environmental Warming and Feminization of One of the Largest Sea Turtle Populations in the World", published in the journal Current Biology said that the temperature of the environment around the site creative egg green turtles will affect the gender of the baby's future. Increasingly warm Beach site creative place, then the trend is happening is more and more babies a female turtles hatch.
The population of green turtles that only around 200,000 along the East coast of Queensland, Australia, scientists are concerned will make the survival of green turtles. Read also the Turtle Will become extinct in the next few years?. The phenomenon of the growing number of green turtle females occur due to global warming. Jensen and his team obtained the data that turtle populations in the Northern reefs Greet Barrier Reef more than 99% are females. While in cooler regions, namely southern, they found that around 65%-69% turtle is a female.
Researchers noted that climate change is affecting the species and ecosystems around the world, "the impact of the temperature rise is mainly related with the determination of the sex of the species depends on temperature (TSD), where the sex of an individual is determined by the incubation temperature During embryonic development, "they said.
- Dziemianowicz, Joe. 2018. "Climate change turns most Great Barrier Reef sea female turtles". nydailynews, January 8, 2018 (http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/climate-change-turns-great-barrier-reef-sea-turtles-female-article-1.3745162) accessed on 9 January 2018.
- Current Biology. 2018. "Environmental Warming and Feminization of One of the Largest Sea Turtle Populations in the World". Cell (http://www.cell.com/current-biology/references/S0960-9822 (17) 31539-7) accessed on 10 October 2018.
Latest posts by Syandi Saputra R (see all)
- Stop Illegal Fishing! Illegal Fishing Merusak Rumah Biota Laut - 04 Desember 2018
- KJA Offshore: Pengembangan Teknologi Budidaya Perikanan dan Pemberdayaan Masyarakat - 10 Mei 2018
- Kitosan : Kulit Udang Si Limbah Potensial - 01 Mei 2018