In early April 2018, we were surprised by the leaked news 87 million personal dataA�facebookA�usersA�.A�All the world’s media directly highlight to Mark Zuckerberg as CEO ofA�Facebook.A�Many media questioned the validity of the news and Mark calmly justified it.
Suddenly governments in various countries directly melakulan investigation whether there is personal data leaked citizens, not least the Ministry of Communications and Information of the Republic of Indonesia.A�Rudiantara as the Minister of Communications and Information has called the representatives ofA�FacebookIndonesia to provide more details related to leakage of user data.A�In addition, Facebook is also required to conduct a digital forensic audit to know which accounts are leaked data.
This leak is in the background behind aA�FacebookA�dealA�withA�Global Science ResearchA�to allow third-party apps to collect thousands of user data under the guise of academic research.A�But apparently they violate the permission that is deliberately taking data millions of users based on friendship onA�FacebookA�for sale illegally toA�Cambridge Analytica.A�The sale of user data is “suspected” to be ammunition to win Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.A�This form of ammunition can be the spread of rumors, false rumors, andA�hoaxesA�to influence the emotions and political choices, especially American citizens.
Indonesia became one of the countries with the third highest number of leaks that reached more than 1 million data.A�While the United States alone ranks first with more than 70 million accounts data is leaked.A�But until now, the Facebook has not to say exactly what any data leaked into the hands ofA�Cambridge AnaliticaA�.
Minister of Communications and Informatics Rudiantara threatened to temporarily suspendA�A�FacebookA�A�due to recent reports that he received that the fate of one million Indonesian users who leaked from Facebook never received.A�”I have the right to suspend the temporary operation,” Rudiantara said on Monday (9/4).A�Rudiantara give grace until Thursday (12/4) but until now there has been no definite news from the Kominfo whether Facebook will be suspended or not.A�On that occasion Rudiantara also complained about quiz applications from third parties on Facebook he can still find.A�Whereas in his meeting with representatives of Facebook on Friday (6/4) then, the removal of quiz applications from third parties became the main demand Rudiantara.
Pak Rudiantara also suggested that netizens in Indonesia fasting medsos.A�The appeal was conveyed in response to the issue of a Facebook account’s private data leak byA�Cambridge AnalyticaA�.A�The basis of the suggestion of ‘fasting medsos’ is that if there is no added value, then he appealed to people not to use social media first.A�”IsA�A�notA�A�that okay?A�Unless it is very necessary and already aware of the potential danger, go ahead, “he said.
According to Expert Staff of the Minister of Communications and Information Technology Division Henri Subiakto,A�FacebookA�can be blocked if it endangers elections, election and election.A�This is not independent of the case of data leakedA�FacebookA�usersA�in Indonesia.A�”If it is dangerous, say endanger the elections or presidential election or Legislative 2019 or 2018 elections we blocked,” said Henri.
According to forensic digital expert Ruby Alamsyah, there has been no significant impact from the leaking of millions of Facebook user data due to the low level ofA�security awarenessA�.A�Usually the effect of such an event is only felt if it has led to criminal acts.
To overcome this problem, Ruben Hattari asA�A�Public Policy Lead Facebook IndonesiaA�said that Facebook has made efforts by contacting the account affected by the leak of user data through a notification titled “Protect Your Information”.A�The notifications contain links to see what apps users use and what data the app can access.A�Each user can close the access manually.
On the user settings page, cancellation of access or removal of applications and websites connected to the account in question.A�FacebookA�encourages all users to monitor the list of apps to prevent additional data leakage.
Amid leaks of 87 million data and possible misuse of the leak,A�Cambridge AnalyticaA�issued an official statement on its website Monday (9/4) which is as follows:
- Cambridge Analytica saidA�no law was violated.A�Because they do not hackA�Facebook.A�There is a research company that isA�A�General Science ResearchA�A�(GSR) that provides data license to Facebook.A�”A�Cambridge AnalyticaA�does not violateA�Federal Election CommissionA�A�(FE)A�regulationsA�A�” wroteA�Cambridge AnalyticaA�A�on its website.
- Cambridge AnalyticaA�does not use GSR data or derivatives from such data in US Presidential Election.A�CA uses data from the A�A�Republican National CommitteeA�, data from public sources such as voter registration, data from commercial data brokers, and research they collect themselves with clear consent statements.A�”The claim that we are using GSR data for Trump campaigns is simply not true.A�Cambridge Analytica provides digital polling, data analysis, and marketing for Trump campaigns, “he said.
- Cambridge AnalyticaA�revealed it did not work at all on the Brexit Referendum.A�They subcontracted some of the digital marketing in the United States and some Canadian company developers that have no connection with CA.
- CA saw Christopher Wylie not a reporter.A�He repeatedly claimed to be the founder ofA�Cambridge AnalyticaA�.A�In fact he is a contractor for ElectionA�Strategic Communication LaboratoriesA�(SCL) and leaves in mid 2014.
- Cambridge Analytica andA�Strategic Communication LaboratoriesA�A�are different companies.A�Cambridge AnalyticaA�is an independent United States entity that works with SCL Election as an affiliate to serve the North American political market
- CA conducts independent, third party audits to show that they do not have any GSR data.A�They said they would share the results of this investigation immediately after receiving the results.
- Cambridge Analytica has worked closely with the Office of the British Information Commission (ICO).A�They have been communicating with ICO since February 2017, when CA hosted in London.A�CA undertakes this cooperation to provide total transparency on the data they hold, how they process it, and the legal basis for processing it.
- Cambridge Analytica is a politically neutral company.A�”Globally, we work across the mainstream political spectrum,” he said.
On the other hand there is also a point of leakage of Facebook data affected by Brexit.A�Facebook suspended the platform of Canadian election consultancy firmA�Aggregate IQA�A�(AIQ) due to misusing Facebook user data to influence the poll results whether the UK exit from the European Union or not.A�The company is allegedly affiliated withA�Cambridge AnaliticaA�.A�Both companies allegedly shared property agreements and intellectual services.A�This is as revealed by theA�whistleblowerA�Christopher Wylie who claimed to have been a master researcher SCL Group owned byA�Cambridge AnalyticaA�.
In spite of the leak of data that shook the world, people are encouraged to be moreA�awareA�in terms of privacy and not tempted by interesting prizes quiz on Facebook or on other sites that require the user or user Facebook fills his personal identity.A�Unfortunately, most people prefer their activities, political orientations, hobbies, or personal things to many people in social media, they consider such activities to be reasonable andA�fineA�.A�So, be wise in using social media!
1. Liputan6.com.A�Facebook kominfo will be blocked if it is hate Pilkada and PilpresA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
2. Tekno.kompas.com.A�Rooting the Impact of Facebook User Data Leaks in IndonesiaA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
3. Dw.com.A�What You Need To Know If You Are A Victim Of Facebook Data LeakageA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
4. Tirto.com.A�Leaking Facebook Data and Personal Information Sharing HabitsA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
5. Tribunnews.com.A�This How To Know Your Facebook Account So Victim Of Data LeakageA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
6. CNNIndonesia.com.A�Cambridge Analytica Answers Accusations Facebook Data LeaksA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
7. CNNIndonesia.com.A�Data Leaks Facebook Allegedly Affects Brexit in the UKA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
8. Kominfo.go.id.A�Press Release on Minister of Communications and Informatics Meets Facebook regarding Possible Misuse of Personal Data on FacebookA�.A�Retrieved on April 10, 2018.
9. CNNIndonesia.com.A�Late Cominfo Deadline Before Blocking FacebookA�.A�Retrieved 14 April 2018.